Building Construction
Average Rating: 5
Votes: 5
Reviews: 5
  • Demo
  • Demo
  • Demo
  • Demo
  • Demo
  • Demo

FAQ‘s About Bradford Buildings

Bradford Buildings not only provides high quality, low cost solutions to new building structures, but they want their clients to be as informed as possible. An educated customer is a smart shopper and the only way to find things out is to ask questions. Please take a moment to read through the FAQs and if you don't see your question here or the answer isn't clear, give them a call. Their experienced staff will answer any question and provide you with information you need to be an educated consumer.

Q: What makes Bradford Buildings better than the competition?

A: Here at Bradford Buildings we represent the top quality building companies in the business and build every building with pride. Our trusses are set on 4’ or 5' centers, unlike many post-frame builders that set their trusses on 8' or 10' centers in order to cut costs. The trusses are an important part of a building's integrity. The more trusses you have, the better the structural integrity. Our trusses are engineered with a 25-lb/psf-snow load rating and a 125 mph wind load rating standard. They are built to withstand the extreme weather conditions that you may encounter in the Midwest. Several other companies will either build their trusses on the job site or they send a standard factory built truss that was never engineered properly or to a 15lb/psf snow load rating and 90 mph wind load. We also run our end posts all the way up to the top of the building rake, rather than stopping at the ceiling joists. This gives our buildings greater structural integrity, as well as a higher wind load resistance. Add in our secondary framing known as rat run this gives you a superior quality building. We also use only Prime 40yr Rated Galvalume Painted American made Metal for our exterior as well as American made screws not cheaper foreign brands or nails. We “NEVER” use sheet metal known as “seconds”, which typically does not carry a manufacturer's warranty. We use solid posts that are fully treated to a .60 value or in laymen’s terms 60%, unlike other companies that will only use treated .40 lumber in the ground. We also offer laminated posts, these posts typically consist of 2x6s that are glued or nailed together. We set our posts 3' (minimum) into the ground for a more solid footing and to ensure that the post is below the frost line.

Q: Do I need to have the building pad level?

A: Yes. You should have the building pad as level as possible. We will level the building with the highest part of the ground. If the ground is not level there will be a gap under the building where the ground slopes, you can always back fill if needed. The ground needs to be within 2”-4” of being perfectly level in order to use our standard pole lengths. This may require hiring an excavator or using a builder's level to determine if the ground is level.

Q: Can I pour a concrete slab in the building after the construction is completed?

A: Yes. We use a 2 x 6 CCA .60 treated bottom plate around the bottom of the building. This board can be used as a form for pouring a concrete slab. Concrete can normally be poured through the large door opening. If the concrete contractor requires additional access to pour the concrete then some wall metal could be left off and installed by the customer after the concrete is poured. In some instances, we can set the posts for the building and pull off the job until the concrete is complete. This may require additional cost for travel expenses for the crew.

Q: Can Bradford Buildings provide the concrete slab for my building?

A: Most of the time. Ask a sales representative for specifics. This depends largely on the location of the building site.

Q: Can my building be installed on top of a concrete slab?

A: Yes. You will need to make us aware of this, so we can figure the costs and material correctly. Also keep in mind that your slab must have a substantial footing to bear the weight load of the building. We are not responsible for damage to the floor that may occur from insufficient footing.

Q: Do I need to have a permit to have a Pole Barn constructed on my property?

A: Maybe. Some counties or cities will require a building permit. The building requirements and restrictions are very different in every area. It is the customer's responsibility to check with the local building inspection office to identify any building restrictions that may be enforced. The customer is responsible for the cost of a building permit, if one is required. We can provide detailed truss drawings to assist in the process of obtaining a permit, which in most cases is all that is needed from us. Occasionally, a municipality will require site specific Engineered Drawings for your building. We can provide engineered drawings and modify the construction of the building, if required. The engineer requires a payment for this service, which is an additional cost that must be paid when the drawings are contracted for. Also keep in mind that if any inspections are required during the construction this may require our builders to stop and wait on the inspector. If this occurs there is a small fee for the down time.

Q: Can Bradford Buildings make any changes to the buildings construction in order to meet local building codes?

A: Yes. We need to be aware of your local building requirements and we can modify our standard construction to adapt to your local building codes. Factory engineered trusses are used on all buildings (unless it is a rafter application; porch, shed, lien-to). Changes to our standard construction must be reviewed by our engineer and priced by our sales staff.

Q: Do I need to have electricity at the job site?

A: Yes. The customer is responsible for having electricity at the job site or they must have a generator available for the builders to use during construction. We can provide a generator for a modest cost if needed.

Q: What happens if the builders encounter rock while digging the holes?

A: An additional fee of $300 a day will apply if the holes cannot be drilled with a hand held auger in a reasonable amount of time (typically requires five minutes to 10 minutes per hole). Customer will pay the amount due directly to the builder for the additional labor that is required. If the auger and rock bars cannot provide adequate posthole depth, then the customer will be responsible for providing any equipment necessary. Equipment would typically consist of a jackhammer and compressor, which can be rented from a local supplier. In some cases a bobcat w/auger or a drilling rig may be required. The builder will determine what type of equipment will be needed. Easy way to help determine if rock is going to be encountered is to mark off the location of the posts and drive a piece of rebar into the ground to see if there is going to be a possibility of hitting rock. Keep in mind we use a 12” auger bit to drill your holes.

Q: What is the difference between 29 gauge and 26 gauge metal?

A: 29 gauge metal is in the range of .014 to .017 thickness, while 26 gauge metal is in the range of .018 to .021 thickness and is available at additional cost.

Q: If I use painted metal on my building, can I use more than one color?

A: Yes. It is very common to use as many as three different color options. We offer more than 20 different colors to choose from. Color charts and color chips are available. Colors are normally indicated for the roof, walls, and trim, sliding door, and wainscoting.

Q: Do I need to send a deposit when I order a building?

A: Yes. We collect 1/3rd of the contract price upon ordering another 1/3rd when the building materials are delivered to your building site and the balance is collected when the building is completed. The first payment is given to the Sales Staff and the second payment is given to the delivery driver or the builder, which in most cases the builders arrival is at the same time as the materials and the final payment is given to the builder upon completion. Bradford Buildings accepts cashiers' checks, money orders, or major credit cards for payment.

Q: When I send in a contract, how long does it take before construction begins?

A: We will always strive to work around your schedule on deliveries and construction. We construct each building in the order that it was received. Weather conditions and production will affect the lead-time. A representative from Bradford Buildings will contact you prior to delivering the materials to arrange a day and time for making the delivery. We will also contact you prior to the arrival of the builders, so that you can make arrangements to meet them at the building site.

Q: Can I purchase a material kit and construct the building myself?

A: Yes. We can provide material kits for any size building. Factory built trusses are available to eliminate the task of constructing the trusses on site. We have insulation, walk doors, windows, vents, cupolas, horse stalls and all the hardware and accessories that you will need to construct your building.

Q: Can Bradford Buildings install an overhead door in my building?

A: Maybe. We are able to install doors in most cases depending on location. You can also contact a local overhead door company to install a door. Most overhead doors will require approximately 24" of clearance height for overhead track. Example: If you order a 10' tall building, then the maximum door height that you can use is 8'. If you do not purchase the Overhead doors through us, you will need to check with the overhead door company and verify the size of the opening that they will require. This information must be given to Bradford Buildings before construction begins. If you are going to pour a concrete slab inside the building it is important to remember that the thickness of the slab will affect the door clearance.

Q: Can I use my farm tax or Disabled Veteran exemption number?

A: Yes and No. Most states do not allow agricultural exemptions for buildings or improvements to real property. We allow Oklahoma Farm Tax exemptions. Please check with your local state tax authority to see if you can use your farm tax exemption.  We do recognize 100% Disabled Veteran tax exemption cards.

Q: What is the life span of the treated lumber?

A: Standard posts have a .60 CCA treatment. The manufacturer has a “Lifetime” rating and a 60 –year warranty, but the life span of the post should far exceed 60 years. Post Protectors are also available to offer additional protection from moisture and termites; they have a limited-lifetime warranty.

Q: How should I ventilate my building?

A: We have ridge vents, gable vents, cupolas, closure vents and exhaust fans. Any of these products will offer sufficient ventilation and can be used in combination with each other.

Q: Why don't you have a price list?

A: We service many states. Delivery charges and local building codes can affect the price of your building. Due to the many buildings and options that are available, it is difficult to have an accurate price list available. Contact one of our sales representatives or use our online quote request for pricing on any building.

Q: Will my metal building have condensation?

A: Maybe. The laws of physics dictate that a metal building exposed to humidity will collect moisture at times. However, if you insulate your building or use a concrete floor, or both, you will virtually eliminate condensation.

Q: I have always heard that skylights leak: Is that true?

A: The truth is that skylights require maintenance. Unlike the rest of your pole building, which is virtually maintenance free, skylights may need to be re-caulked every 3-5 years to prevent leaking. You should be aware that if you insulate the roof of your building, skylights should not be used. As an alternative you can always install our polycarbonate panels on the eve sides of your building thus getting the same effect without the hassles of leaking often associated with “Skylights” in the roof.

Q: What is the difference between wall height and ceiling clearance?

A: The post-frame industry uses outside wall height as the industry standard for measuring size. A 10' wall height (or eave height) does not mean that there is 10' of clearance inside your building. Typically if you have a 10' wall, your clearance inside is approximately 9' 6 ½ without a concrete floor and 9’ 2 ½” with a concrete floor. Sliding doors are 1' shorter than the specified wall height and overhead doors are 2' shorter than specified wall height. That way anything that fits through the doors will certainly clear the ceiling joists.

Q: Does Bradford Buildings build custom buildings?

A: Yes. We can customize your building to fit your needs. However building with standard widths and lengths will be more economical for you.

Q: Will you provide dirt work?

A: Excavation may be available through Bradford Buildings depending on your location. If you decide to provide your own pad you will need to provide us with a level building site at least 5 feet larger than your building on all sides. You will want to build the site pad high enough for water to drain away from the site. Final leveling and grading may be needed after the completion of your building.

Q: Is there financing available to purchase our building?

A: Yes. Bradford Buildings does have financing available. Ask your salesman for a credit application. In most cases collateral is not required.


Kenley finished up my pole barn last night and it looks really nice.

I have to say that Kenley, Seth and all the guys involved did a great job and were real easy to talk to and get along with. I’m real happy with the building and how it looks. I’d recommend you guys to anyone.

Thanks for all your help.

G. Bales